Caramelized Banana Malt
This amazing recipe was featured on BowenAppetit. Give it a shot!
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 2 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
- 2 Ripe Bananas
- 3 Cups Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract or Vanilla Bean Paste
- 1/4 Cup Soda Fountain ® Malted Milk Powder
- (Optional) Whipped Cream, for serving
- Caramelize bananas: Heat a large skillet (preferably non-stick, including cast iron) over medium heat. Add the butter and brown sugar, mix together, and cook, stirring occasionally, until melted mostly together. Meanwhile, split the bananas in half lengthwise and remove peels. Add bananas to the caramel and cook until almost entirely soft, browned, and covered in caramel, at least 3 minutes on either side. The longer you cook them, the sweeter and more delicious they’ll be – I cook mine until they’re almost difficult to pick up without mushing together. If the caramel starts to smoke or smelled burned at all, reduce or turn off heat. Set aside to cool for at least 5 minutes.
- Make malt: Combine all ingredients, including bananas, into a blender and blend until smooth. Adjust ice cream and milk as needed to get desired texture. Pour into glasses and serve, with whipped cream if desired.
- Making ahead/storage: Bananas can be caramelized and refrigerated for up to 5 days. Malts are best enjoyed freshly blended.